Ok, so you want to share your film with the world. The next question that will come up: Which video hoster is best for me and my film?
We could list now all plattforms that are available up to now, but we think this is a waste of time. There are more or less two that you should consider:
We all know they are the biggest video plattform. But that is not the point. They offer lot of interesting features for filmmakers that differ from other services:
- You can provide subtitles/captures in different languages (Captures can even be generated automatically. But we would be careful with that. But anyway, it could help to translate your film in very exotic languages).
- They offer resolution up to 4K. This is really awesome. (On the other hand, who has a 4K screen?)
- It is completely free
- Videos play on any device, iPhone, iPad, Android, Internet browsers. So you can be sure your film can be seen worldwide
- They offer a revenue sharing model.
- The other side ot the medal is the limit of 15minutes. Although you can upload 20GB files they cannot exeed the 15min duration rule.
BUT: Professional filmmakers can either apply for a YouTube Partnership 1) You need to have existing videos on YouTube with a couple of thousends of views and 2) YouTube Partnership Program currently availbale only in selected countries. Or you could talk with us. We are a Premium Partner and can push your YouTube account so you do not have any duration limits anymore. Plus: you can monetize your videos. Please note that we only accept original content producers which means you must have cleared all materials you use (copyright issues).
They are well known for hosting independent projects and films and appreciated by many artists and creators that go beyond the mainstream style. Although they cannot come up with the same number of users with YouTube, they offer a good niche audience. It is so to say a “premium user-generated” plattform.
- Basic membership is free. “Plus” membership costs 59,95 USD/year.
- Good niche audience
- Some report better encoding quality compared to YouTube
CONCLUSION: If you decide to put all your effort in one certain plattform, we would recommend YouTube. But it can also make sense to upload your film to more than just one platform. More plattforms = more potential audience!